Consequences Of A Sex Crime Conviction
Few charges strike fear into the heart of a defendant like sexually-based offenses. The stigma attached to a conviction for a sex crime can ruin an otherwise promising future. At Yeretsian Law, we recognize that all defendants are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. We do not judge our clients. We believe in compassionate and aggressive defense of our client’s rights.
California Laws Related To Sex Crimes
California has passed a number of tough regulations related to nonconsensual sexual activity. Some of the most serious sexual crimes include:
- Sexual battery
- Oral copulation, sodomy or penetration by a foreign object
Another category of sex crimes that has become far more common in the digital age are internet-based offenses. These can include:
- Distributing harmful material to minors
- Arranging a meeting with a minor for lewd purposes
- “Sexting” or exchanging lewd images electronically between an adult and a minor
For adults age 18 or older, any of these crimes involving minors can lead to a felony charge with life-altering consequences. As your lawyer, Lara Yeretsian will fight for the best outcome for you and protect your due process rights.
The Lifelong Impact Of A Sex Crime Conviction
It is essential to work with a defense attorney who focuses on sex crime charges to ensure that you have the best possible chance of obtaining an acquittal. If you are convicted of some of California’s more stringent sex offenses, you will be facing:
- A jail sentence measured in years and thousands of dollars in fines
- A criminal record that may interfere with accepting a job or finding housing
- Court-ordered victim restitution
- Summary probation, formal probation or parole
- Lifetime registration on the sexual offenders list kept by the state
The prosecution’s case against you is not always airtight. Our firm will work with you to examine the circumstances of your arrest, look for mitigating factors, or seek options that preserve your freedom and reputation.
Contact Us Today To Protect Your Reputation And Future
If you have been arrested or suspect you are being investigated for a sex offense, it is imperative you receive immediate legal counsel. Our law firm serves clients in Glendale and throughout Los Angeles. Call 818-741-1220 to receive a free case consultation, or email us.
Our practice speaks Spanish, Arabic and Armenian.